doing business between brothers

Discussing what is the right thing to say, and the right way to act, in situations arising in a Torah environment.
Forum rules
Please be sure that whatever case you relate has been changed enough to protect the innocent.

doing business between brothers

Postby rachel11 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 pm

The torah way, I would like to ask the forum. I am buying land, to have a house built, just north of New York City. Seller, of the faith. Very slow, very bad at communication, very pressured in his business, unpaid mortgages. I have made and he has agreed reasonable price for land. I will house my mother who has cancer and is living locally in retirement community just north of New York City, access will be made by builder to enable her to come in.

I have put a lot of effort into this, getting a construction facility from the bank (not easy in this time), downpayment, appraisal, survey, working with the builder (builder is different from seller) ~

But after 5 months seller still hasn't signed the contract and my mortgage offer is about to expire, I have told him this. He doesn't even return call. I understand he has done this to others.

What can I say to him to have him follow the faith and do the right thing. I have not yet told him all of the personal situation above.
rachel11

Re: doing business between brothers

Postby martinbrody » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:02 am

rachel11 wrote:The torah way, I would like to ask the forum. I am buying land, to have a house built, just north of New York City. Seller, of the faith. Very slow, very bad at communication, very pressured in his business, unpaid mortgages. I have made and he has agreed reasonable price for land. I will house my mother who has cancer and is living locally in retirement community just north of New York City, access will be made by builder to enable her to come in.

I have put a lot of effort into this, getting a construction facility from the bank (not easy in this time), downpayment, appraisal, survey, working with the builder (builder is different from seller) ~

But after 5 months seller still hasn't signed the contract and my mortgage offer is about to expire, I have told him this. He doesn't even return call. I understand he has done this to others.

What can I say to him to have him follow the faith and do the right thing. I have not yet told him all of the personal situation above.

Not much you can say. Sorry it's such a mess for you.
Best thing is to tell him you are no longer interested unless he gets back to you within 12 hours.
Don't confuse Jews with Judaism.
Good luck to you.
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Kira » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:44 am

Martin is right.

A person who has been failing in this area his whole life, is not going to fix his ways and act as he should, because of any one thing you can say to him.

Speak to your lawyer.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am

No contract has been signed from what I understand. He is within his rights at this moment.
It's unfortunate but the fact that you were in a hurry to get things done, hence the effort, doesn't give you rights nor the seller (who hasn't signed a contract) obligations towards you. I would have to agree with Martin, set a time limit for your offer and if the person doesn't respond, move on. Hopefully, you didn't lose out financially even though, in you and your mother's situation, losing time is probably even more important.
Good luck
Enora

Return to Torah Etiquette