Tazria-Metzorah

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: Tazria-Metzorah

Postby Enora » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am

Enora, all real estate in Israel is a great deal, yes? Why raise your child in Galus??

Yes ALL of Israel is a deal but I know a successful aliyah depends a lot on where you choose to live, what kind of community etc.
Yerushalayim is where most of our family is and I'm a city gal. Oh how I love Yerushalayim but if anybody knows of anything in Caesarea, I'm cool with that too...

As for raising my kid in Galut, it's not that easy a choice when you think about your sons right? Having to send your children off to the military is never ideal and rarely natural for a mother (which doesn't mean I wouldn't be proud of him). It's a necessary "mal" but I see it has an effect on how children are raised from an early age. You should of seen the mean looks I got in september when I wouldn't allow my 3 year old to jump all over the hotel lobby furniture like the other kids. I even got told "we don't know if OUR children will survive" (meaning: shove your pretentious good manners lady). I don't agree with that kind of attitude and I have a feeling I'll be getting into arguments often if I don't find the right school and community. Have you ever been confronted with that kind of attitude or was I just unlucky?
Enora

Postby Kira » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't allow my children to behave rudely or inappropriately, for a given value of rude and inappropriate, which is probably not the same as in France. There is never an excuse.

The only time I heard something like what you describe was when deciding whether or not to keep my sons in kindergarten for another year - people said, "So what, the army will get them a year later." Which is a good point.

My sons don't particularly want to be "kravi" (front-line troops), and there are many options for them, including intelligence, technology, and many other fields.

Actually, mortality for that age in Israel is lower than in other countries - because when they're in the army, they're not on the roads driving.

And when they come out, they are able and willing to stand up for themselves, and for us, and to protect their fellow Jews.

Yes, there's an impact even as children, but it is a positive one. They know they are among their own people, and they walk proudly.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:10 pm

You have me convinced. No need to say more, you just blew away my last hesitation (that wasn't going to stop me anyways but I feel much better about the choice now)
Thank you

, for a given value of rude and inappropriate, which is probably not the same as in France.

Yeah but I'm sure we (you and I) have more in common on values and what we consider appropriate behavior for our children then I do with the french...
Enora

Postby Enora » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Actually I find the whole topic of Lashan HaRah here in Israel very depressing. All those Rabbis who groups hold huge rallies about Lashan HaRah have their own newspapers which insult and attack other Rabbis who were their allies last year. I think it is Lashan HaRah for one Sephardic Rabbi to call another Sephardic Rabbi in the same party Amalek. We won't discuss what the Litaaim write about the leader of the Sephardic group when they don't agree with his esteem prescence. As I said, I find it very depressing. I never heard of such disrespect before they started having those rallies against LaShon HaRah.

Aryeh,
I just read 10 minutes ago that Rav Amsellem , who I'm admiring more and more, has started his own social movement called Am Shalem... Have you heard? Any thoughts?
Enora

Postby Enora » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Enora

Postby Kira » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm

I agree with his platform, but small parties don't usually do very well ...

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Yes but it's a start or it's at least SOMETHING. If I was israeli, as a sefardi, I would have a hard time identifying with Shas. Yet it seems amongst (religious) sefardim that shas is the "only" solution. In fact I don't see what's so sefardi about sefardim anymore, they send even their dumbest kids to yeshiva, expect their daughters to work for their husbands, dress up in black with white shirts (we used to wear blue shirts too)... women in black tights, they follow ashkenazi halachot because they think it's "stricter", have their mezuzot all slanted, eat glatt (like nobody remembers what Halak is)...
Finally here's a guy that makes some of us proud to be what we are. Little party or not, Hazak for standing up.
Enora

Previous

Return to Torah Forum