Free at last!

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: Free at last!

Postby Poster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:16 am

http://www.jstandard.com/content/item/1 ... yah/17559#

11 Orthodox converts barred from aliyah
Local rabbi signs letter to interior ministry

Larry Yudelson • Local | World
Published: 11 March 2011

/
The latest round in the never-ending battle over “who is a Jew” pits diaspora Orthodox rabbis, including one from Teaneck, against the Israeli Interior Ministry and the office of the chief rabbi.

At immediate issue is the immigration status of 11 North American Jews who underwent Orthodox conversion and whose petition to make aliyah has been denied in recent weeks by Interior Ministry immigration authorities.

“It’s just not right that people who live in our communities, who are observant Jews, who have come to share their fate with the Jewish people and the State of Israel by making aliyah, are being denied the right to become citizens under the Law of Return, as other Jews can do,” said Rabbi Nathaniel Helfgot of Cong. Netivot Shalom in Teaneck.

Helfgot was one of more than 100 rabbis who signed a letter to the interior ministry expressing concern that “conversions performed under some of our auspices and those of our colleagues are being questioned vis-à-vis aliyah eligibility.” The letter protests a new policy by which Orthodox converts are no longer automatically approved for immigration. Instead, the ministry has begun consulting with the chief rabbinate, which has announced a policy of accepting only conversions performed by certain rabbinical courts.

Had these converts been converted by Reform or Conservative rabbis, they would have been eligible to immigrate under a 1988 Israeli Supreme Court ruling that non-Orthodox converts are to be considered Jewish for the purpose of aliyah.

The letter was organized by Rabbi Seth Farber, head of Itim: The Jewish Life Information Center.

“One of the sad things for me is that one of the 11 converts converted more than 25 years ago and has been living an Orthodox life, and for the first time this person got a slap in the face. He’s basically being told he’s not Jewish as far as the State of Israel is concerned,” Farber told The Jewish Standard last week.
/

/
“Let the Jewish Agency emissaries decide who is eligible for aliyah, just as they decide concerning people who are born Jewish,” said Farber. “Halacha says we don’t treat the convert different than anyone who is born Jewish.”
/

end of quotes

Poster:
B'chai b'chem. I was taught that was the law that you have to break Shabbos to save the life of another Jew.

A Yerushaliim Chassidic Rosh Hayeshiva (not the one I am friends with, believe it or not, *another* Chassidic RH) had a line formed at my local shul for the little children to get a bracha from him. It wasn't my idea, but the associate rabbi (my boss) interrupted my class and brought all the kids, including my own kids who happened to be there (a rare event, they get bored with me very fast for some reason) to the visiting Chassidic RH.

He gave every kids a bracha until my kids, who were at the end to not be pushy, I feel it is chessid to let others get first.

Instead of giving my Asian looking kids a bracha, he just touched their cheek and looked at me.

I was horrified, I wasn't even able to protect my kids from discrimination in my own class.

That was over a year ago, I complained to the head rabbi, he nodded, I haven't brought my kids back since.

Now I see what the problem was,

even if these goyish looking kids were Jewish (s'fake, they don't *look* Jewish) then it's probable that their mother had an Orthodox conversion not sanctioned by the new organization (true).

So, to play it safe, no reason to risk the great avayrah of giving a possible goy (two kids) a bracha.

Well, here's the deal. Play with me all you want.

I'm protecting my kids. I'm not going to let the OJ community play games with them.

The deal was, I convert Orthodox, my wife gets an OJ conversion (even though she was born Jewish in the Philippines) and we get access to the pool, the shalosh seudas chips, and we break shabbos to save other Jews lives, and they break shabbos to save our lives.

Well, now, not only will a huge fraction of Jews not break Shabbos to save my children's lives (they might not be recognized as Jewish by the State of Israel = new thing)

That wasn't the deal at my conversion.

I was told Shabbos works X.

Now it doesn't work X FOR ME AND MY KIDS.

The deal's off, I never agreed to me or my family having to keep "Shabbos 2, we get treated like goyim, but we have to break shabbos to save Jews lives."

Now, I'll do that, break Shabbos to save lives of Jews, no problemo.

But I never agreed to keep Shabbos where the rule doesn't run both ways.

The deal has been broken, and I'm not complaining, just don't complain back if I don't invent a new Shabbos for my kids to keep. They're not interested, I'm not interested in pushing them into a fourth class status in a group that will not save their lives because of their skin, and won't even give them a bracha, G-d forbid a bracha go to a goy.

I'm not 'blaming anyone', this just makes it easier for me, hey, it's all good, it ends with me, no bar mitzvah ceremony for my boys, they don't even want one.

I'm not going to artificially restrict my kids to a pool of Jews who won't consider them worthy of a bracha, let alone a marriage. Why saddle them with that kind of mamzerus?

I never agreed to that, absolutely not. Let them marry someone who will treat them as an equal. NON-JEWS. I hope.

You know, I'd give up my life rather than see the state of Israel nuked, I really would.

But, just for the record, if, G-d forbid, if Iran leveled the place in three years, this problem would go away. Now, I hope G-d doesn't allow that, but the Jews in Israel who are sitting on the side lines on this better hope they have enough clout with G-d to treat gerrim like this, I honestly hope this doesn't tip the balance. Good luck you you guys on that, because I know with me, I would never take a chance like that, the bible is pretty clear on how to treat gerrim, and it ain't pretty when you start messing with the strangers and the widows and the orphans. I'm just saying, good luck on this, I hope G-d understands.
Poster

Postby Kira » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:20 pm

but the Jews in Israel who are sitting on the side lines on this better hope they have enough clout with G-d to treat gerrim like this, I honestly hope this doesn't tip the balance. Good luck you you guys on that, because I know with me, I would never take a chance like that, the bible is pretty clear on how to treat gerrim, and it ain't pretty when you start messing with the strangers and the widows and the orphans.
I fully agree.

This is wrong beyond measure. I hope that it is resolved soon (as it might be, even the Israel Rabbinate is not THAT obtuse), and G-d's patience will not be tested.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Roo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Poster: this is so sad.
Why do Jews act like this? I don't cover my head or wearing pantyhose here. I get lots of looks. If I wander into the ultra-cheridi neighborhood, I won't come out in one piece with my wardrobe.
Roo

Previous

Return to Torah Forum