Unusual foods, shabbat restrictions

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Unusual foods, shabbat restrictions

Postby Sander » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:36 am

TEA
My father told me one has to be careful with tea on Shabbat. He said the best way is to make a concentrated tea before shabbat, and then dilute it with hot water when I want to drink it.

In my neighborhood, people who are keeping shabbat are serviing tea by serving hot water and putting tea bags on the table. For those who wish to make tea, we take a tea bag and dunk it in the hot water. But then someone told me you cannot hold the teabag by the string, because that would be straining the water through the teabag; apparently one of the 39 categories of prohibited work on Shabbat. I was advised to remove the tea bag from the hot water using a spoon to lift the tea bag.

Another issue is whether the tea is coloring the water; using a dye to color something is prohibited.

Packaged 'toffuti cuties"
Tofutti cuties look like ice-cream sandwich bars. However, they are made with mock icecream based on tofu. The question I have: The sandwich bars are paper wrapped, and the paper has writing on it. So it would seem very difficult to unwrap the sandwich bar on Shabbas while not tearing some of the printed words on the paper wrap. I pointed this out and nobody seemed to think it was a problem.

Cocoa

I enjoy a hot drink made by adding hot water to pure cocao in powder form. Is it ok to do this on Shabbat? To dissolve the cocoa, it is necessary to shmeer it in the hot water against the sides of the cup. (Shmeer is technical jargon meaning something like to spread thinly, e.g. "To shmeer cream cheese on your bagel"). Is this ok on Shabbat?
Sander

Re: Unusual foods, shabbat restrictions

Postby rivka » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 am

Tea gets lots of different opinions. But if you accept those opinions that allow teabags, definitely remove with a spoon.

Coloring (tzovea) is not a problem with food. So while it could be a cooking problem (depending who you ask), it's definitely not a coloring one -- not unless you are using the tea solution to dye curtains, as was once common. ;)

The wrappers of Tofutti cuties are fairly easy to open without tearing. The back simply wraps over, with very little glue involved. Unless the wrapping has changed recently . . . ?

I make cocoa most Shabbos mornings as follows: powder in cup, hot water poured from kli sheini (another cup), then stir vigorously. Must add enough water to NOT make a paste (as opposed to during the week, when I would add a small amount of milk and make a paste, and THEN add hot water).
rivka

Postby Enora » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:30 am

tofu mock ice cream and WATER in cocoa...
hmm

Tea: like Rivka said... except if you're making atay bi nana, which needs to be made as a concentrate before shabbat. I know some of you really need their daily dose of a'tay bi nana...
Enora

Postby rivka » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Enora wrote:tofu mock ice cream and WATER in cocoa...

The Cuties are fairly good.

And the cocoa powder already has milk powder in it.

I know, I know. American food products have always horrified the French. ;)
rivka

Postby Enora » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:07 pm

ahh yes, I forgot about the powdered milk... I really need to get back to the states. I'm forgetting about all these things that make life easier, like not having to take the milk out of the fridge, opening it , actually pouring it into a cup THEN nuking it.... phew... life's difficult enough. :)
Buuuuut, for shabbat, if someone could send me a carton of swiss miss?
Enora

Postby rivka » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:36 am

For most things, most of us do use liquid, refrigerated milk. :P

It was Europeans who came up with UHT milk, after all. Not Americans.

Swiss Miss lost its hechsher a loooong time ago, when they started making a variety with marshmallows in it. But you give me your address, and I'd be happy to mail you a box of the equivalent.
rivka

Postby Enora » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm

rivka wrote:For most things, most of us do use liquid, refrigerated milk. :P

It was Europeans who came up with UHT milk, after all. Not Americans.

Swiss Miss lost its hechsher a loooong time ago, when they started making a variety with marshmallows in it. But you give me your address, and I'd be happy to mail you a box of the equivalent.

Yes UHT milk... I'm so used to it, I forget how odd it must seem to americans.
I had NO IDEA for swiss miss... sadness.
Thanks for offering on sending the goods lol, I was kidding (kind of... I get my sisters to send me stuff)
Enora

Postby rivka » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Enora wrote:UHT milk... I'm so used to it, I forget how odd it must seem to americans.

It's readily available here, and people buy the flavored varieties (little boxes for kids' lunches) quite a bit. The plain doesn't seem to sell as well. People are more likely to buy either fresh milk or boxed soy milk.
rivka

Postby Enora » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm

rivka wrote:The plain doesn't seem to sell as well. People are more likely to buy either fresh milk or boxed soy milk.

Ok I'm off the subject again...
The issue with UHT, when it was introduced to the american public was that americans were suspicious of milk that didn't need to be refrigerated (before opening). The square tetra brik packaging made the product more identifiable, which was a problem and packaging designers needed to rethink how to present the american public with UHT milk since asides for conservation purposes americans weren't buying it (which is why it's a succes for packed lunches).
Guess what they did? They bottled it (or put it in regular looking cartons that are in fact also, tetra briks)
If your milk doesn't say "fresh" chances are, it's uht.
Enora

Postby rivka » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Maybe in some states. California has weird laws about refrigerated milk and required additives; UHT doesn't meet the criteria, so it can only be sold in the bricks.

Then again, Californians are also used to buying shelf-stable soy milk, so the UHT milk isn't so much regarded as suspicious as it is as "why bother"? Soy milk is cheaper.
rivka

Next

Return to Torah Forum