The written law mentions oral law.

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: The written law mentions oral law.

Postby Hart60 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Interesting,thanks Poster.
I read that Rabbi Yaakov Emden viewed Jesus and Paul as Noachide teachers, whose views were distorted by the early anti-semitic Greek Christians, he also thought that if Noachism was spread to the Arabs, it might solve the Arab-Israeli conflict. Noachide Arabs too would feel part of Israel's Mission and abandon Islam, the source of much of the present Arab hatred of Israel and attempts to harm and kill Jews.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby Kira » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 am

Islam is not a bad Noachide religion, except for the part where they include other Noachides as infidels.

But on the whole, I agree - the conflict is a religious one, not a political one, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Muslims do not include other noahides as infidels. They don't consider jews infidels either.
Kira wrote:Islam is not a bad Noachide religion, except for the part where they include other Noachides as infidels.

A kefir in arabic (kofer in hebrew hehe) is someone who doesn't recognize the One true and Unique God.
Normally a jew is not considered a kefir. They are "people of the book" (Al-e-kitab).
Now here's where it gets tricky. In the Quran when discussing jews, has 2 names for us. Benu Israel (bnai Israel) and Yahud.
When the word Yahud is used, it's rarely in a pretty context but when the term Benu Israel is used, it is with utmost respect. Weird huh?
There is a concept that a jew that practices his religion with the fear of God etc yadayada then he is Benu Israel. I don't really get how to bounce the term around from Yahud to Benu Israel in modern times lol.
Originally the term "kefir" applies to Pagans. So noahides that recognize God would not be infidels... but then what do you expect a proselyte religion to do? You can't just leave people out lol.
Normally calling a jew a "kefir" is haram (assur) according to Islamic law. However in the islamic world very few can actually READ the Quran and rely on imams to preach the word. Even in morocco where classical arabic is taught in schools, most people cannot read the Quran for themselves (Moroccans for example, speak an arab/moroccan dialect called Darija, a saudi wouldn't understand a moroccan).
This is why their friday preaches are so popular. There are advantages to keeping a population illiterate and throwing them a bone to chew (jews/Israel) so they don't think too hard about their own condition.
With what's been going on lately, I've noticed a change in interest amongst the population.
There is no talk about Israel lately in the press over here lol. It's almost like we're on vacation or something.
Except last motze shabbat did NOT feel like a vacation, unless you consider Gaza your ideal vacation spot. Whoa..
Enora

Postby Kira » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Good, Enora, maybe you can explain it to me.

What is their problem with us?

Why did all the protesters in Egypt and elsewhere say, "justice, jobs, freedom, and kill the Jews"?

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Kira wrote:Good, Enora, maybe you can explain it to me.

What is their problem with us?

Why did all the protesters in Egypt and elsewhere say, "justice, jobs, freedom, and kill the Jews"?

-Kira

Well, I didn't see that in the Tunisian protests (though they did wind up burning a synagogue)
As for egyptians, the palestinians have been a problem and kept in refugee status. The egyptians have been promised that the solution is to destroy Israel and kill the jews... then they can get rid of the palestinians.
Amongst egyptians lies islamic factions attempting putsches, not to be confused with legitimate upheaval against a dictator, that have like their counterparts (Syria, Yemen, Sudan...) ALWAYS used the "Palestinian cause" to feed their propaganda. Ex: Gamal Abdel Nasser.
In algerian and moroccan media, not a word about Israel (until this morning with the rockets).
If you're IN an arab country right now, I think it's pretty obvious that the press isn't spilling much ink for palestinians lately. Compared to the rest of the time, it's pretty noticeable. Arab youth today don't seem to turn so much towards Islamic political parties. It seems, according to arab press that this is a factor most of the revolting countries have in common. They speak of a disappointment in religion and religious groups, those that motivated their parents. These are just headlines I keep seeing here and in arab press.
I don't know how things will turn out I do know they've got their work cut out for them and are gonna be busy with other issues for a bit.
I think the palestinian authority might even be feeling the media void judging by the pathetic and tragic attempts of attention.
So what IS their problem with us?
What is ANY nations' problem with us? It seems to me that just about everywhere is anti israel / antisemitic nonsense. Like The Protocoles of the Elders of Zion sells best in Japan and wtf is THEIR problem with us?
I would say that the simple fact of being a "spin off" of judaism, pushing proselytism , they are by nature, antisemitic (a theory of mine, blahblah)
That doesn't explain Japan though...
The least "odd" is the muslims if you think about it. Jews reconquered once muslim land and dominate quite obviously over it and (or are able to do so when required for our safety) a muslim population. I support MY brothers, I can understand they support their "muslim brothers" especially with the years of media brainwashing. It's not illogical. I have a harder time understanding european anti semitism and israeli hate. All protests in France are "More jobs- More money-Boycott Israel" so...
oh and don't think I'm not on my toes, after 3 years here, the only things I own are two beds, our clothes and 2 laptops. I'm ready to go.
Enora

Postby Kira » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Jews reconquered once muslim land and dominate quite obviously over it
This is the real problem, isn't it? They can't let that go?

Even if we are Bnei Yisrael and not just Yahud?

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Well to be honest, I don't think they consider that any of us are Benu Israel. I'm pretty sure more then half only know the term Yahud. I'm just saying, in "theory" according to their own book. These two terms for jews exist. Kind of stinks, not being able to read your own holy book and it leaves a lot of room for the crazies...
Enora

Previous

Return to Torah Forum