Is there a 3 day kosher rule for meat?

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: Is there a 3 day kosher rule for meat?

Postby Enora » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 pm

When it comes to investing in land, asides ideological reasons, Israel is a great investment. My sister in law just bought a house in Tekoa and it's impressive how the prices have gone up in just 2 years even in some so called "colonies".
Jerusalem is like Paris or NY though, it just goes up and up and owning a 2 bdr apt in one of those cities is gold... a couple of apt's even better hehe and then I'll build a ranch in the Negev like Sharon yeaaah (hey, dreams are free!).
Enora

Postby Sander » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Kira wrote:Wow, Enora, you talk like someone who actually knows how to soak and salt meat IRL and not just from books!

Sander, whether or not frozen meat counts in this 72 hours was the subject of great controversy in the '80s. I don't know how they resolved it, but being that most of our meat comes from Uruguay or Argentina, they must have. I think they kasher it there and then freeze it?

Aryeh, you must know about this.

-Kira
The raw chicken I was buying was refrigerated, not frozen. It is not frozen at the time of sale and it was not previously frozen. If the chicken was previously frozen the store labels it "Previously Frozen" and sells it cheaper. I live in Toronto (the suburb of Thornhill actually) in the province of Ontario Canada. Chickens are slaughtered here in the province and are not usually imported. Of course the local store has a freezer section where you can buy lots of frozen chicken or beef, but I don't buy the frozen food. We get some chicken from Quebec and that could be frozen. I attended a lecture of one of the local rabbis who monitored chicken slaughter, so that's how I learned about chicken slaughter happening in the province.
Sander

Postby Sander » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm

rivka wrote:50 Celsius is 122 Fahrenheit!
Where I live it was minus 16 Celcius last night, which is 3 degrees Fahrenhiet. About 3 weeks ago the temperature went down to minus 22 Celcius. It is very convenient because I went shopping and put all the groceries, including meat, in the trunk of the car, and then decided to go to the movies. I had no fear at all that the food would spoil while I was in the movie theater.

The winter here lasts from November to March. About four months, we are frozen, though one day out of every couple of weeks the temperature might go above 1 or 2 degrees above freezing for a few hours in the afternoon. During the months of November, December, January, and February, I never see a flie or mosquito. There are ducks, I used to go see them. They live in the ravine where creek flows (it is called Black Creek and it flows into Humber River). When the creek freezes they sit on the ice. How they survive, I don't really know. I am sure some must get frozen. February 2 was last week, it is a big news item because the ground hogs come out of the ground to see if spring is coming.
Sander

Postby Kira » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Yeah ... if our temperatures falls under 10 C, everyone complains like you wouldn't believe.

Of course, we don't really have heating, or insulation ... often it's warmer outside than inside.

But, b"h, it's been raining!

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Kira wrote:Yeah ... if our temperatures falls under 10 C, everyone complains like you wouldn't believe.

Of course, we don't really have heating, or insulation ... often it's warmer outside than inside.

But, b"h, it's been raining!

-Kira

Exactly the same thing here!
It's been 14°C all week and we've gotta wear socks with our flip flops. If it starts raining we'll have to wear plastic bags over them too. So annoying.
It's been one of the coldest moroccan winters in a long time.
Enora

Previous

Return to Torah Forum