Is there a 3 day kosher rule for meat?

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Is there a 3 day kosher rule for meat?

Postby Sander » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 am

I am getting old so I don't remember clearly. I thought my mother told me, that we can only keep kosher meat 3 days, then it has to be re-salted. Is this right?

The reason I thought of this today (Feb. 3), is that I was shopping for raw chicken and the "best before" date said Feb. 9. I thought, that is six days away... that cannot be right. Maybe they meant to put Feb. 6 and they mixed up 9 and 6?
Sander

Re: Is there a 3 day kosher rule for meat?

Postby Enora » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 am

I thought my mother told me, that we can only keep kosher meat 3 days, then it has to be re-salted. Is this right

Huh!!?? Perhaps what you heard was when you buy non koshered meat (not rinsed or salted) and don't kosher it within 72 hours from it's shechita. Before the 72 hrs are up you can soak it and gain another 72 hours. Otherwise you have to grill it. If it's frozen meat, you just have to wet it again when you take it out of the freezer then kosher it like you usually would.
This is why, if you buy unkoshered meat, you should ask when it was last soaked.
If you salt it twice your meat will be inedible or give you high blood pressure....
Enora

Postby Kira » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Wow, Enora, you talk like someone who actually knows how to soak and salt meat IRL and not just from books!

Sander, whether or not frozen meat counts in this 72 hours was the subject of great controversy in the '80s. I don't know how they resolved it, but being that most of our meat comes from Uruguay or Argentina, they must have. I think they kasher it there and then freeze it?

Aryeh, you must know about this.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Yisroelp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Kira wrote:Wow, Enora, you talk like someone who actually knows how to soak and salt meat IRL and not just from books!

Sander, whether or not frozen meat counts in this 72 hours was the subject of great controversy in the '80s. I don't know how they resolved it, but being that most of our meat comes from Uruguay or Argentina, they must have. I think they kasher it there and then freeze it?

They used to freeze it in Argentina and then ship it to Israel where it was either salted or sold as unsalted. The Rabbanut relied on those Rabbinic opinions to the effect that the freezing process (no water was involved in it, so it couldn't be said to be "soaked" for all that time) suspended the 72 hour clock.

They now have full kashering facilities on site, so the problem has disappeared.
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Postby Enora » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Kira wrote:Wow, Enora, you talk like someone who actually knows how to soak and salt meat IRL and not just from books!

Aryeh, you must know about this.

-Kira

Too bad there's no "disgusted" smiley.
Years ago, before marrying, my mother in law (in Paris, )who would buy her meat unkoshered because it's cheaper (with 6 kids and small salaries), showed me how to kosher meat. It grossed me out. A few years of "modern butchers" go buy and we move to Morocco.
When I moved here I bought our meat at the only kosher butcher in town. I started cooking it (dafina) and after about an hour I see all this foam up top the pot.
Now I haven't always eaten kosher and in French recipes they say to skim meat stew to remove the foam which is actually blood. I'm thinking "wtf" because this NEVER has happened to me with kosher meat. The next week I ask the butcher if his meat was koshered and he tells me NO, that I have to do it myself. WHA??? BARF**CHOKE**COUGH
So I call up my mother in law lol...
and have asked many sheelot since (especially when the butcher gave me unkoshered frozen meat)

Now I get poultry, everyday meat, sausages etc delivered from casablanca, it's already koshered and cut.
The tasty stuff for yom tov I get from the local kosher butcher (we order a half a lamb for pessah, lamb chops, stuffed spleen) but I have to kosher it myself.
It's nasty. And like sometimes, it's 50°C out and your meat is sitting under salt and your wondering if you're going to die from eating this. The flies are all trying to get into your house because they know that's where the party is at.
ech!

The more positive aspect is that you realize that the meat you're handling was a living animal just a few days before. The blood and the flesh you cut, the soaking the salting the rinsing, all this before you can "just" appreciate a good meal. I eat less meat now but have more respect for the food I put in my mouth. The whole processed and sanitized meat industry in europe or the usa disconnects us with the actual origin of what we eat.
The other day a friend of mine was all grossed out by the blood on the styrofoam platter her meat was packed in... wimp!
Enora

Postby Roo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Enora: you are so funny lately! I mean, the flies know where the party is???? Hilarious!
Roo

Postby rivka » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Yeah, although apparently she lives inside an oven. ;) 50°C indeed!
rivka

Postby Enora » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 pm

rivka wrote:Yeah, although apparently she lives inside an oven. ;) 50°C indeed!

Yes an oven, one that you put your head into because you just want to escape the heat and die already. It's horrible.
I guess anyone from Eilat would know what I mean... but at least they have the sea.
Enora

Postby Enora » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Beersheva would be more like it...
Enora

Postby rivka » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:40 pm

50 Celsius is 122 Fahrenheit!
rivka

Next

Return to Torah Forum