Wife covering hair.

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: Wife covering hair.

Postby Yisroelp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:25 am

If you want to read a fascinating and very learned exposition of the topic of women covering their hair, then download Rabbi Michael J Broyde's Hair Covering & Jewish Law: Biblical and Objective (Dat Moshe) or Rabbinic and Subjective (Dat Yehudit)? at http://traditiononline.org/news/article.cfm?id=105511

In case you haven't heard of Rabbi Broyde, here's a short piece from his Wikipedia entry:

Michael J. Broyde (May 12, 1964) is a professor of law and the academic director of the Law and Religion Program at Emory University. He is also a senior fellow in the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory University. His primary areas of interest are law and religion, Jewish law and ethics, and comparative religious law. Broyde has published more than 70 articles on various aspects of law and religion and Jewish law, and a number of articles in the area of federal courts.

He is ordained (yoreh yoreh ve-yadin yadin) as an Orthodox rabbi by Yeshiva University and is a member (dayan) of the Beth Din of America, the largest Jewish law court in America. Broyde was the first rabbi of the Young Israel of Toco Hills in Atlanta, GA. He is married to Channah S. Broyde and has four children: Joshua, Aaron, Rachel, and Deborah.

Broyde is a prolific author and speaker on Jewish law, Mishpat Ivri and Jewish ethics. His work is frequently cited by other writers on his subjects of expertise.

In other words, he does know what he is talking about.
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Postby Kira » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm with Sander, I think there's something off with the whole wig idea. But if your wife will wear a wig, I'll still eat at your house ;)

Enora, wearing a wig at the wedding is not an Ashkenazi thing, it's a Lubavitch/Chassidishe thing. I was told that after the Chuppa, I had to have something on my head as a sign, but did not need to cover my hair. Then again, as Chassidishe customs spread through the rest of the Jewish World, you see women who are in a wig already before the Chuppa. Ew.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Kira wrote:Enora, wearing a wig at the wedding is not an Ashkenazi thing, it's a Lubavitch/Chassidishe thing. I was told that after the Chuppa, I had to have something on my head as a sign, but did not need to cover my hair. Then again, as Chassidishe customs spread through the rest of the Jewish World, you see women who are in a wig already before the Chuppa. Ew.

-Kira

Because you think we have any other ashkenazim in France asides Lubavitch (I mean sefardim converted lubavitch).
I see sefardim women wearing wigs before the chuppa now. The frummer then thou type attitude. "I wear a wig so..." YEAH but can you kosher your meat? HA
Enora

Postby rivka » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Enora wrote:
rivka wrote: And they can fool me from across the room, no question. But from up close (or even from far given several minutes of actual motion -- static photos are much harder), I can (almost) always tell.

:lol: what you say is true but do men spend several minutes staring at "motion" lol
And while I can't see your link (it requires FB login)

A FB rebel eh?

As I mentioned before, many people seem to respond differently to a wig (to sense that something is "off"), even if they don't consciously know why.

And I refuse to participate on any site that is as egregiously careless with user data and preferences as FB is.
rivka

Postby Enora » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 pm

rivka wrote:And I refuse to participate on any site that is as egregiously careless with user data and preferences as FB is.

Egregiously careless? That's putting it nicely. It's worse then that because they're the only one's I know that , when you sign up, you sign a "contract" that they will change whenever they please AND if you don't agree to the changes you can no longer access YOUR information.
They're not careless at all. It's quite intentional.
Enora

Postby rivka » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Hyperbole is fun. ;)
rivka

Postby Enora » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Yes and I appreciated it's finesse ;)
Enora

Postby Poster » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:51 am

I once heard that the reason a divorce' wears a wig is because once someone has first hand sexual knowledge, it's .... (I forgot what comes after that).
Poster

Postby Kira » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Gila Manolson in Inside / Outside. Great book.

Bottom line is that a woman who was married is not the same as a woman who was not married.

We try to pretend that nothing happens before marriage.

-Kira
Kira

Postby rivka » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I would restate that as: We try to strongly encourage the ideal that nothing happens before marriage, and in those cases that don't live up to the ideal, we try to pretend that they do.

Many people -- hormonal teens though many may be -- really DO live up to that ideal.
rivka

PreviousNext

Return to Torah Forum