Feed the dog.

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: Feed the dog.

Postby Roo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:42 pm

This is all quite entertaining. A welcome break from my ulpan (Hebrew language lessons).
Roo

Postby aries » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:05 pm

well around here (Israel) the all the non-Jewish veterinarians know what you are talking about. I am pretty sure that most of the Phillapinas and Sudanese don't need any one to draw them a picture to turn off your lights on the Shabbat either.

So some genius decides to try to import steers into Israel. He found out that (1) he can't sell to the Jews because all of the meat on steers is in the rear half and Jews don't eat the rear half. (2) the moslems will not buy them because they are castrated and moslems do not castrate their food animals and (3) you have to use estrogenic hormones to grow steers and hormones are not permitted in Israel. As near as I can determine, he sold them on the black market someplace.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Postby Enora » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:59 pm

As near as I can determine, he sold them on the black market someplace.

...in morocco I bet, the land where baksheesh makes everything hallal.
Enora

Postby Sander » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 pm

My mother told me that in Israel they do make kosher the rear half of beef. It is not done in north america for economic reasons, because removing the part of the thigh as required by kashrut is difficult and messes up the cut of the meat. For that reason the rear half is sold to goyim for a better price than would be obtained if the rear half was made kosher.
Sander

Postby Enora » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:30 am

because removing the part of the thigh as required by kashrut is difficult and messes up the cut of the meat. For that reason the rear half is sold to goyim for a better price than would be obtained if the rear half was made kosher.

The sciatic nerve is not difficult to remove, it doesn't require much more training. I've investigated this with the help of my "once was a shochet in his 20's" father-in-law. The issue had come up since the butcher here in marrakesh sells the rear (and removes the nerve) and the casablanca beth din wants him to stop. We had to figure out what was going on and who we should be buying from or not.
It would seem that the meat business is a profitable business and I will stop there.
I still buy the rear from the marrakechi butcher.
Enora

gid hanesheh

Postby aries » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:44 am

Most Askenazic communities no longer remove the gid hanesheh or sciatic nerve as the chumra no no no people make it impossible to operate. It has been that way for about two hundred years. Sephardic Jews continue the tradition and there are certified Nokrim in Israel who perform the operation. In the story I related, they were trying to sell the steers to Cheradi Jews.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Postby Poster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 am

Adam Corolla relates that his dog licks his kids faces when they are playing.

Different cultures have different perspectives. In some countries, dogs are not pets, they are looked at the same way we see rats.

When his Hispanic housekeeper sees the dog lick the kids faces or eat from a plate, the housekeeper's face will show waves of utter revulsion. Imagine another country with rats or cockroaches as pets with pet names, licking their kids faces and eating off of their plates.

I once posted on Craig's List that I was missing my pet mosquito, 'Thirsty,' and if found, needed to be fed, "please let him land on your arm..."

For some reason my post was flagged as spam... just like when I posted for sale a part of my very old left Nike shoe that fell off, "serious buyers only"

I like dogs, they should not be made to suffer, but they are property on a par with cows that we can throw on the grill any time we want. Dogs are not kosher, but they are not people either.

I always refer to my pet dogs as "loyal friend, and, in case of famine, emergency meal".
Poster

Postby Enora » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Adam Corolla relates that his dog licks his kids faces when they are playing.

That's DISGUSTING! I'd scrub my face down with BLEACH... and I don't care how much "cleaner" dog spit is supposed to be compared to human saliva, those animals can lick parts of their anatomy WE CAN'T and that is enough for me!
Don't get me wrong, I love animals. Animals being the keyword.
Enora

Postby aries » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:39 pm

The dog thinks it is part of the human pack. Licking enables him to identify the members of the pack. I do not think it is meant to be hygienic like monkeys and cats. In any event, one of the purposes of having pets (a least two) is to prevent allergies or ashtma later in development. Therefore the dirtier the better. On the other hand, the dog does pick up all sorts of parasites from the environment so perhaps it is not the best thing to encourage.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Postby Enora » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Having animals around early in life is indeed a better idea if you want to avoid allergies later but that isn't incompatible with proper hygiene.
Rules of the Pack
#1- stay out of the alpha's face (the alpha being me and any other human)
Enora

PreviousNext

Return to Torah Forum