blessing over fruit and vegetables

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: blessing over fruit and vegetables

Postby Kira » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:41 pm

I think it's just about expectation.

If you always have dessert as part of the meal, at the table, then it's included.

If you only have dessert as a special after-meal course, then it's not included.

I noticed that some of the Sefardim we have invited (in particular, Persians), have no concept of dessert. They don't even like chocolate. :shock:

So it's a cultural thing.

We keep it simple - if you've washed, you don't make another blessing. I think - and it's been a few years since I've seen it inside and I'm too lazy to check right now - that it's based on the Mishna Berurah.

Sander, you too - keep it simple. Odds are what you have always done is perfectly fine. It's interesting to hear what other people say and do.

-Kira
Kira

Re: blessing over fruit and vegetables

Postby Enora » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:53 pm

If you always have dessert as part of the meal, at the table, then it's included.

Hmm crazy persians don't know what they're missing. They don't like couscous either, hmpf! Most people I know expect dessert, or something sweet and now that us sefardim have become civilized we eat at tables too. lol
I kid.
But seriously, you said it:
If you only have dessert as a special after-meal course, then it's not included.

That is indeed the case BUT the question is, what is "part of the meal".... and that's where the shulchan aruch I believe makes the difference that sefardim (but not only? I wouldn't know) apply. Since you are full and are eating a bonus, expected or not, then we don't include it (in Motzi).
I dunno I have nothing in this house I can check in (oh yeah I'm moving in 10 days...again)
Chabad has this up online though (how do they get all this done!?): http://www.chabad.org/library/article_c ... r-Four.htm
Halakha 11 and then scroll down for the commentary for the halakha.
Enora

Previous

Return to Torah Forum